- (2:00) Ewan recalled his undergraduate days at the University of Edinburgh studying Physics.
- (2:43) Ewan talked about his first job out of school as a Seismic Acquisition Specialist at ION Geophysical.
- (5:28) Ewan briefly skimmed through his next job as a Senior Research Executive in Marketing Science at BBC.
- (7:40) Ewan gave some key insights on the intersection between marketing and data.
- (10:15) Ewan introduced Skyscanner and the interesting data problem that he is helping to solve.
- (12:39) Ewan went over a couple of major data science use cases at Skyscanner.
- (18:05) Ewan discussed how Skyscanner builds its travel recommendation system.
- (23:40) Ewan emphasized the importance of doing A/B testing experiments at Skyscanner.
- (27:58) Ewan talked about the differences in doing experimentation on both Skyscanner's web app and the mobile app.
- (29:31) Ewan gave a long answer on how a data scientist can effectively communicate the results to others in an organization.
- (33:07) Ewan gave his two cents on possible ways a data science team can be situated in a company.
- (36:40) Ewan shared the 3 most important software engineering skills that a data scientist can develop.
- (38:25) Ewan stressed the importance of learning SQL.
- (40:25) Ewan mentioned the important signals to look for in a data-centric company.
- (43:01) Ewan shared more information about the data science and tech ecosystem in Scotland.
- (45:40) Ewan gave advice for aspiring data scientists who want to succeed during a data science interview.
- (49:45) Ewan gave advice for business executives who want to bring data talents into their organizations.
- (51:00) Closing segments.
His Contact Info:
His recommended resources: